Have you heard of the term Fonut? Fonuts are baked donuts. They are simply delicious and what’s great about them is you get all the good feelings of a donut, but its simply not fried. This Fonut recipe is divine. I use rich, luxurious, dark chocolate to make these treats extra special. The best part is there are no guilty feelings here. These bad boys are low carb, low sugar, high protein, and the perfect healthy snack for your little ones.
Making these fonuts is really simple. Mix your wet ingredients, mix your dry ingredients. Combine the wet and the dry and pour into a donut baking tray. If you don’t have one you, these are a few of my favorite options: here, here, and here.
Make sure you spray your pan with a non-stick cooking spray to ensure that you can get them out of the pan without breaking them. Then let them cool on a plate or rack before topping with powdered sugar or your favorite glaze. I often opt for just the sugar sprinkle. If I’m splurging on the donut I probably don’t need all the extra sugar from a glaze too. Unless it is a maple glaze. The world is a better place because of maple donuts.
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 scoop protein powder (30g protein)
- ¾ cup Truvia baking blend
- 2 TSP baking powder
- 2 TSP dark chocolate (unsweetened) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg beaten
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk (more as needed)
- 2 TB melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray your donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Into a large bowl sift together all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each one a little more than three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a sheet pan.
- Once cool top with powdered sugar and drizzle melted chocolate.
If you’re looking for a different version or flavor here are a few fabulous recipes from my good friend and fellow blogger Life on Barrymore: Baked Glazed Vanilla Donut and Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts. Or check out these fabulous finds from Bloglovin: Broma Bakery and ambitious kitchen.