I’ve been tired of the usual vegetable preparation, especially in my lunches, so my good friend Sara inspired me to think outside the box and get creative. For me, vegetables are hard to get in during lunch. I hate reheating them in a microwave, and I tend to save my salads for dinner time. As the summer heat kicks in I tried to create a dish that could be served warm or cold, was light and healthy, and bold in flavor. This recipe will not disappoint!
Making this salad is really simple! First, slice your zucchini into thirds lengthwise, season with S&P, and drizzle with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil). If you want to make it easier to handle, or you aren’t confident in your knife skills, cut your zucchini in half first, and then go length wise. This will make it much easier to cut in thirds as you will have less zucchini to handle each cut!
Grill for 4 mins each side until tender.
Let cool and dice into small pieces, about an inch. Or, for a more rustic look in your salad, you can chop your zucchini in varying sizes. This makes for an excellent presentation as well.
Toss with the grilled bell pepper, beans, cilantro, Jalapeño, and sliced red onion. Chop and drop, this is my kind of recipe! Grab a big fun serving dish and throw it all in, I mean, how easy is that!
Add in the lime and garlic vinaigrette.
Toss to combine, add in smoked chicken chorizo, and serve!
If you’re looking for a new take on an old staple send me an email or a comment and I’ll try to create something fresh and flavorful, just for you! For a complete recipe and instructions save or print the recipe card below.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup EVOO
- ¼ TSP Garlic Salt
- ⅛ TSP Pepper
- For the Salad:
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
- ½ Red onion, minced
- 1 Jalepeno, finely chopped
- 3 Zucchini cut lengthwise into thirds
- 1 orange bell pepper
- For Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- For the Salad: Heat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl add the drained beans, red onion, Jalapeno, and cilantro, set aside.
- Brush Zucchini and Bell Pepper on both sides with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill 4 minutes on each side until tender. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Add the zucchini and bell pepper to the bowl with beans, add the dressing, and toss to combine.
- Add in 4 links of chicken chorizo sausage, that are cooked, cooled, and diced into ½ inch pieces.
- Stir all items until well combined, being careful not to break up zucchini.