Last week friend of mine brought a big box of beautiful Meyer Lemons to share at our gym. I snagged a few knowing I could create some delicious recipes. Meyer Lemons are sweeter than a traditional lemon which makes them perfect for baking! In fact, they are significantly sweeter than your traditional lemon. I used this to my advantage when creating this recipe for a guilt-free lemon cake. Most lemon cakes are either a pound cake or a yogurt cake and are filled with sugar. While they taste great and I love them, I know that with a few simple changes I could have a cake that tastes great and I can feel good about eating. Now that’s my kind of cake!
Making this cake is really easy. Mix your wet ingredients. Mix your dry ingredietns. And combine the wet and the dry slowly, making sure you don’t overwork the batter. Overworking the batter will prevent your cake from being light and fluffy. The batter will come out thick, like this:
When it is finished baking, let it cool on a wire rack. Another tip I use is that I line the inside of my baking pan with a little piece of parchment paper. This ensures easy removal and makes sure my cake comes out perfectly smooth on the bottom!
Now this is the hard part. Let it cool. Don’t cut it yet! We have more goodness to add. The glaze topping! Now I must admit, the cake doesn’t need the topping, at all. It is so good on its own, but who doesn’t want just a little extra bit of sweet lemony goodness.
If you’re like me, THIS is the hardest part… establishing the hands free zone for the next 15-20 minutes. Let the glaze set, thicken, and harden. This will ensure that your cake stays moist and delicious.
- For The Batter:
- 1½ Cups of Gluten Free Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Truvia Baking Blend
- ¼ Cup Agave Nectar (or honey)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- For the Syrup:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 TB Truvia blend
- For the Glaze:
- ½ Cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 TB Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease you baking pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside
- For the batter: Sift together the dry ingredients, set aside. In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until combined. Add in lemon juice, oil vanilla, agave nectar, and yogurt, stirring until combined. Slowly mix the dry and wet ingredients. Pour into baking pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking combine the ¼ cup lemon juice and 2 TB Truvia blend, heating slowly until sugar is dissolved and a syrup is formed.
- When cake is done let cool for 15 minutes and then transfer to a wired baking rack. Slowly pour syrup over cake. Allow to sit 30 minutes until syrup is absorbed and cake is cool.
- For the glaze: Combine confectioners sugar and lemon juice until a thick glaze is formed. Slowly drizzle over cake.