If you’re looking for a light and refreshing dessert then this recipe is for you! Most sorbet and granita recipes will call for tons of sugar. It really is hard to beat this Italian treat that not only tastes great, but lets you feel good about what you’re eating too! The fresh summer berries are bright and vibrant with just enough natural sweetness to make your taste buds go wild.
For best results use only the freshest ingredients! This dessert can be made in an ice cream maker if you have one, but I find the old fashioned way keeps it light and fluffy, and makes it just a little bit extra special. One of the most important steps to making this dessert perfect is to run it through a fine mesh sieve. This makes sure that all the seeds are extracted leaving you with a clean texture on your granita.
To dazzle your guests create a little dessert tray showcasing all the ingredients you used to make your Mixed Berry Granita. I guarantee they will love it AND be impressed when you tell them you added no sugar!
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup agave nectar & 3TB agave nectar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup warm water
- Using a peeler or citrus grater remove rind from lemon and orange, set aside.
- Juice the lemon & orange.
- Combine juice with berries, water, agave nectar, and salt and blend in your @Vitamix for 2 minutes until pureed smooth.
- Strain granita mixture through a fine sieve over a large glass baking dish, discard all the seeds. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 4-6 hours, scraping with a fork every 45 minutes until granita is light and flffy.
- While the granita is chiiling combine your reserved rind strips with 3 TB agave nectar and thyme. Stir together and let stand for 20 minutes. Add in ¼ cup warm water and stir until agave mixes in well. Strain the entire mixture through a sieve and discard the rinds.
- When you are ready to serve scoop the granite into a dish and top with 1 TB of citrus syrup. Garnish with fresh mint and rind strips, if desired.