I’m always looking for easy ways to spice up chicken. We eat a lot of chicken in our house and cooking the same recipes gets boring! This recipe is not only super easy but it is delicious! Best of all, you’ll feel like you’re eating a restaurant quality meal with very little fuss. Prep time is quick, 5 minutes or left, and the oven does the rest of the work. So pop this in the oven, open a bottle of wine, and relax.
Prepping this chicken is easy as there aren’t many ingredients. You’ll start by washing off your split chicken and patting it dry. Then mince up your shallot and garlic, herbs, and slice your lemon. In a small bowl combine the shallot, garlic, herbs, and S&P and smear this all over the chicken.
Lift of the skin and make sure that you get it under there so that your breasts are flavored. Slide in a few lemon slices under the skin for extra flavor and added moisture. Squeeze the juice of your remaining lemon and toss the rest of the slices and lemon quarters into the pan. Pour the white wine all over the chicken. The chicken is now ready to go into the oven. Bake it for about 50 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 155-160 degrees.
When the chicken comes out of the oven, LET IT REST. This will seal in the juices. While the chicken rests pour all the drippings and juices from the pan into a small sauce pan and cook over medium high heat to reduce down and concentrate the flavors.
There are several ways to plate and serve this dish. My favorite is over a simple cauliflower puree with some steamed broccoli. The cauliflower will absorb all the juices from the sauce.
Or you can simply let the chicken be the star of the plate and serve your side dishes on the side. This is an especially beautiful presentation if you’re serving your dish family style.
If you’re making this dish on the weekend and you have more time, you can use an entire chicken instead of the split chicken. This also makes for excellent presentation for parties or gatherings. Simply increase your cooking time to meet the size of your bird.
- 1 Package Split chicken or 1 whole chicken
- 1 Large Shallot Minced
- 2 Shallots Quartered
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 TB Chopped Rosemary
- 1 TSP Chopped Thyme
- 1 TB Salt
- 2 TSP Pepper
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1 lemon quartered
- ½ Cup Dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 400
- Combine S&P, herbs, minced shallot and garlic into a bowl.
- Wash chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub the herb mixture all over the chicken, making sure to pull up the skin and season the meat underneath. Place the lemon slices underneath the skin of the chicken.
- Place the remaining lemon and shallots around the pan, squeezing the lemon to release the juice. Pour the white wine over the chicken as well.
- Cook the chicken for approx. 50 minutes or until internal temperature meets 155-160 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the oven. Pour all the juices and drippings into a small sauce pan. Tent the chicken with aluminum foil and let it rest. Meanwhile reduce the pan juices over medium high heat until reduced to ¼ cup, approx. 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.