Life’s been REALLY busy lately. It’s really, really, hard to find any time to spend together with my husband where one of us isn’t working. One thing that we’ve done to try to make sure we stay connected and allow time just for us is to have a weeknight date night. The reality of our schedules is such that going out to eat usually doesn’t happen. But we do the best we can. I make a yummy dinner and try to add a special touch to make the night seem special. We enjoy a quiet dinner, a bottle of wine, and each others company. Here are my best bets, tips, and tricks to have a simple and beautiful weeknight date night.
- Keep it simple: often people don’t do the little things because they THINK it requires a ton of effort or skill. This is not true. For a weeknight date night, my first tip is to always keep it simple. It isn’t the meal that is important it is the time together. Get takeout if you have to, grab a roasted chicken, or throw something together and pop it in the oven.
- Set the table: the day before. When I know we are having a date night I always set the table the night before, or worst case scenario in the morning before I head to work. This lets me focus on dinner, some wine, and relaxing instead of fussing over details. This also gives you a few extra minutes to set out some of your pretties, like fun napkins or arrange a centerpiece.
- Don’t do it all. This is a standard best bet whenever I entertain. Never do it all yourself. Pick something (or a few things) and just buy them. It could be dessert or the appetizer, it really doesn’t matter. But keeping your evening simple means taking things off your to-do list.
- Set the mood: Always light candles. It’s date night, the evening is supposed to romantic. Set some candles up and if you’ve got fresh flowers put them out on your table.
- Cell Phones Off. Seriously, turn it off. Put it in another room. Your attention shouldn’t be anywhere except on the person in front of you.